Through its special health information services for businesses, the Illinois Poison Center provides exposure management and treatment recommendations to both employees of a business and its customers via telephone 24-hours a day, 365 days a year.
How it works:
By contracting with the IPC, businesses provide their customers and employees access to free health information services regarding their products. The company provides the poison center information regarding the contents/ingredients of their products covered by the contract (this can be in the form of an SDS or other written document). The IPC then assigns the company a dedicated helpline number for these products. When an incident with a product occurs, employees and customers can call the helpline to get free treatment advice regarding the exposure. Every call is handled by specially trained physicians, pharmacists, nurses or other poison specialists.
The company is responsible for publicizing this number to its employees and/or customers.
What services are provided:
- Access to IPC’s poison specialists 24 hours a day, seven days a week via a designated toll-free helpline number. IPC’s specialists are healthcare professionals (e.g. pharmacists, physicians, nurses) specially trained in toxicology.
- Electronic case processing systems that facilitate efficient case management and reporting
- Quality assurance programs that help ensure accurate treatment recommendations and reporting
- Quarterly reports detailing calls received by the IPC regarding items from company product lines
Why contract with the IPC?
- Relief from staffing, budget, technology and other concerns associated with internal programs
It takes many resources to staff a 24 hour hotline to provide health information services. By contracting with the IPC, companies save staff time and money.
- Reduces product liability risk
Companies will be able to identify any problems associated with certain products and take the necessary steps to solve them.
- Trained specialists provide time-sensitive information to employees and customers in times of emergencies.
The Illinois Poison Center specialists are trained experts in toxicology. All questions regarding a product will be answered in a timely and efficient manner.
- Expands the range of value-added services for your customers
Employees and customers will know that safety is a leading priority for the company.
To contract with the IPC, or for more information on services for product manufacturers, please contact Carol DesLauriers, Director at 312-906-6188 or firstname.lastname@example.org.