Celebrate Illinois Poison Prevention Month (IPPM) – March 1-31
Each year, U.S. poison centers receive more than four million poisoning exposures calls. The Illinois Poison Center (IPC) handles nearly 100,000 calls annually via its toll-free, confidential hotline (1-800-222-1222). Of those calls, more than half involved children 5 years of age and under. Calls range from people exposed to a variety of substances that can be potentially harmful causing minimal to fatal reaction. An example of these substances are: medications, vitamins/supplements, household/automotive products, plants, insect/animal bites and stings, lead, carbon monoxide, chemicals, etc.
For children ages 18-36 months, poisoning is
the #1 cause
of injury-related hospitalization and death
In 2005, poisoning surpassed firearms to become the
in the US behind motor vehicle accidents
You Can Make all the Difference…Now and in March!
It’s easy!...Share FREE poison prevention information with your family, friends, coworkers and community:
- Know the Basics: If you haven’t already done so, complete the IPC’s quick, free online Poison Prevention Education Course and learn more
- Order and/or Download: After you complete the online course access a variety of Free poison prevention education and presentation materials and tips from the Poison Prevention Education Resource Center
- Invite kids/students to play/view a variety of poison prevention computer games and videos check it out
- Save the number to your phone (and encourage others to do so as well): 1-800-222-1222
- Place the following message at the end of every email you send during the month of March: "No Issue too big or small…just call 1-800-222-1222 Illinois Poison Prevention Month (March 1-31)"
- Post the message above on your Facebook wall
- Tweet "I'm Celebrating Illinois Poison Prevention Month (March 1-31). No issue too big or small just call 1-800-222-1222!"