Follow these steps to make sure your home is safer from poisons:
- Always return medications/pesticides/cleaning products to a locked, safe storage area immediately after use.
- Never call medicine “candy”.
- Never take or give medications without reading the label first. Do not take or give medication in the dark.
- Store all medications and cleaning products in their original, labeled child-resistant containers.
- Dispose old or unused medications using IPC guidelines.
- Do not store cleaning products and food in the same cabinet/location.
- Include the Poison Center phone number (1-800-222-1222) in the essential emergency phone list in the child’s home, daycare center or relative’s home and cell phones!.
- Identify all plants in and around the home by common and botanical names. Tell children to keep away from any mushrooms, plants and berries growing outside.